Possession (Joywave album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||March 13, 2020|
|Studio||Joywave's studio (Rochester, New York)|
|Singles from Possession|
Possession is the third studio album by American indie rock band Joywave. It was released on March 13, 2020, through their own Cultco Music label and Hollywood Records8度彩票官网. The album was supported by five singles prior to release; "Blastoffff", "Like a Kennedy", "Obsession", "Blank Slate", and "Half Your Age".
Recording and composition
Joywave recorded Possession at their studio in Rochester, New York. It was produced by band frontman Daniel Armbruster and mixed by Dan Grech-Marguerat. The recording of the album saw the band return to incorporating samples of audio into their songs. They had previously used audio samples of various Disney films for their debut album, How Do You Feel Now? (2015), but opted not to use samples at all for their following album, Content (2017). For Possession, the band used samples of audio from the Voyager 8度彩票官网en Record, a 1977 compilation of sounds, spoken word pieces, and music curated by Carl Sagan, included on both Voyager space probes in order to create an image of life on Earth for any other lifeforms that might discover the spacecraft one day. The cover art for the 8度彩票官网en Record was also cited as the influence for the design of the Possession cover art.
Regarding the premise of the album, Armbruster stated that it focuses on the concept of control, examining it on a more broad societal level as well as a personal level. He added that "our heads are spinning. Every day is crazier than the last. Every screen we walk by is shouting at us, demanding our undivided attention. Control over our own lives is constantly under siege".
Promotion and release
Joywave released five singles over a span of 17 months leading up to the announcement of the album. The band chose to have a less conventional campaign for the album. They slowly released singles over a long period of time leading up to the album release, instead of the typical system of releasing the album first and then following it up with singles. Armbruster contrasted their album campaign to television shows on Netflix, which consumers are often able to view multiple episodes of in one sitting, therefore consuming the content all at once.
The first single released from Possession was "Blastoffff", released on July 12, 2018. On the same day, it was used in a trailer to promote the fifth season of battle royale video game Fortnite. The band did not release another single for 11 months, until the release of the song "Like a Kennedy" on June 21, 2019. The release was accompanied with a press release detailing their upcoming album as well as an announcement of dates for their "Possession Sessions" tour. The band released the song "Obsession" on August 9, which was accompanied with its own music video. The band eventually added extra dates to the tour, and also released the song "Blank Slate" on November 1.
On January 7, 2020, the band announced that their upcoming third album, Possession, would be released on March 13. The announcement was made in conjunction with the release of the song "Half Your Age". The album's track list as well as dates for a North American tour were also revealed.
All lyrics are written by Daniel Armbruster; all music is composed by Joywave (Daniel Armbruster, Benjamin Bailey, Paul Brenner, Joseph Morinelli).
|1.||"Like a Kennedy"||4:08|
|3.||"Half Your Age"||3:29|
|7.||"Funny Thing About Opinions"||3:13|
|8.||"Who Owns Who?"||2:36|
Personnel adapted from album liner notes.
- Arnold, Phil (March 10, 2020). . Music Talkers - Latest Music News & Artist Exposure.
- Spevak, Jeff. . City Newspaper.
- Greenwood, Marcia (January 8, 2020). . Democrat and Chronicle. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Frometa, RJ (January 7, 2020). . Vents. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Menjivar, Brittany (July 18, 2017). . The Young Folks. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Sheetz, Janelle (January 8, 2020). . AXS. Retrieved January 15, 2020.
- Spevak, Jeff (January 22, 2020). . City Newspaper. Retrieved January 28, 2020.
- . iTunes Store. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Rohn, Chris (December 25, 2018). . Magnetic magazine. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Frometa, RJ (June 21, 2019). . Vents. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- . Us Weekly. August 15, 2019. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Frometa, RJ (November 1, 2019). . Vents. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Possession (album liner notes). Joywave. Cultco Music; Hollywood Records. 2020.CS1 maint: others (link)